4.30.2013

Dirndl Skirt Part 4 - Finishing Your Skirt!

The majority of your hard work is done and soon you will be reaping the rewards of that hard work. Yay!

First, hem it! (I actually used the top edge of the sheet when I cut my pieces so my hem is already finished.) Remember, you factored in a 1 1/2" hem when you cut your pieces so fold and press up 1/2" inch then fold up again another 1" and press. Slip stitch by hand or do a blind stitch with your machine. Here's how to do a blind stitch hem from CraftStylish.

Next, buttons. You can break out the ruler and get all precise with your button placement, but I just eyeball it. If you want to get more technical with it here is some much more in depth information from Sewaholic. I figure if it can hold up to my overly critical eyes then surely others won't notice if something's a couple centimeters off when I'm wearing it. I just play around with the buttons until they please me:

When you're figuring out your button placement do it on the side where you will want your buttonholes to be. Lift each button and make a mark right underneath it. These marks will be where your buttonholes will go. I used the automatic buttonhole maker on my machine but you can also hand-work your button holes. Here is a great tutorial on A Fashionable Stitch. Fold your skirt in half with the two plackets lined up with each other, wrong sides together, and pin. Stick pins through each buttonhole so they come out on the other placket. Use these as guides to mark where you'll sew your buttonholes on.
You can hand sew your buttons or use your machine (tutorial from Make It & Love It).

Your skirt is now ready to rock! Wasn't that easy? And you didn't even need zippers, elastic, interfacing or a pattern! Now go make a million of these things! Easy, breezy summer skirts or warm and cozy winter skirts. You can get as intricate or be as simple as you please with this skirt, either way everyone will be impressed!
Pockets in action!

Here's another one in red, white and navy stripes:

No comments:

Post a Comment