6.28.2013

Stripe My Fancy Skirt - Part 1 - ☆ ☆

This is the "Stripe My Fancy" skirt that is for sale for $79.99 on modcloth.com. I'll show you how to replicate it yourself using the trusty dirndl formula. And once again, no zippers, no patterns, no elastic, no interfacing to deal with!

The modcloth version has a back zipper but we will be doing a simple button placket in the back.
This is a pretty simple skirt. It gets two stars for top stitching and (kind of, but not really) sewing on a curve. It took me about half an hour to cut and an hour and 15 minutes to sew. Use the dirndl formula to figure out what measurements you'll need. Plug in the number 1.75 for the skirt instead of 1.5, for a fuller skirt.

For myself, I want a waistband piece that measures 28" by 3.5."

For the skirt I need three pieces: one front and two for the back. The measurement for my front piece was 24.5" so to keep it simple I cut two large pieces at 25" x 16.5," one will be cut in half later. You will need a button placket so cut two pieces at 3" x 9.25."

For the pocket pieces, make the tallest part about 1.25" shorter than the length of your skirt, so for me: 15.25." The width of the bottom of the pocket should be a bit less than one third of the width of your front skirt piece, so for me: 7.5" + 1" s.a. = 8.5." If you're using a striped fabric like the modcloth skirt is made of, make sure you cut the pocket pieces with vertical stripes and the waist and skirt pieces with horizontal stripes. To make the pocket pieces I marked the width and height and just free-handed the rest of it with a washable marker. The first one I drew I didn't like so I redrew it a little larger and now it's visible on one pocket. It'll come out when I wash the skirt, but I'd recommend using chalk if you have any.

These are the pieces all cut out. Now on to the sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment